The purpose of this web page is to encourage authorities to investigate why our Torrey Pine Trees died.
Rare and Endangered Torrey Pine Trees near San Diego went through a severe die-off in the years 2014-18 and are continuing their demise today. Government funded authorities still promote an oversimplistic story that beetles invaded because of drought and killed them. But authorities have not done any testing and the evidence is overwhelming that other factors are involved. Several years of independent study has been systematically ignored. Following is a list of evidence that has been ignored and must continue to be ignored in order for authorities to continue their official story of drought and beetles:
1. Authorities must ignore the fact that trees on Torrey Pines Golf Course, host to PGA and directly adjacent to Torrey Pines Reserve, died at the same time and in the same percentage rate as those in the Reserve. The golf course trees were watered indicating that drought was not a major factor.
2. Authorities must ignore the fact that Torrey Pine Trees show all the symptoms of Pitch Canker Disease. Examples are shown in picture below and our authorities won’t acknowledge it. Samples of pathogen damage were delivered to San Diego County Plant Pathology Laboratory on five separate occasions in 2018. This is a laboratory that provides plant diagnostic services to the local agricultural industry and the general public. They could not determine what it was. Their analyses are here. Photos of the pathogen damage were sent to the California Department of Agriculture in Sacramento. They replied over a month later and essentially said they did not know what it was, here. The pathogen damage was presented to the San Diego Community Forest Advisory Board in November, 2018. This is a board that advises the San Diego Mayor on urban forestry issues. They were asked to acknowledge that there was pathogen damage in addition to drought and beetles, but they declined. This is the handout for that presentation. (Compare the below symptoms to photos by California Integrated Pest Management Program, here, and Cal-Poly Pitch Canker Task Force, here.)
3. Authorities must ignore the fact that Fusarium circinatum, the pathogen that causes Pitch Canker Disease in pines, was identified by a certified lab on trees in the Reserve and golf course. Fusarium circinatum is a serious pathogen that girdles branch tips cutting off water supply. Needles turn brown and fall off leaving bare branch ends and can lead to tree mortality. Pine trees infected with pitch canker are often attacked by engraver beetles. Monterey Pines along California’s central coast have been devastated by it. The full Fusarium analysis is here. My email transmitting the analysis, State Parks reply, and my response is here.
4. Authorities must ignore a peer-reviewed scientific paper written by a Ph.D. in Nuclear Chemistry and a Medical Doctor that analyzed the condensed fog that drips off Torrey Pine trees. (You would think authorities would want to know what’s in our fog, but they don’t.) The paper titled, “Previously Unrecognized Factors in the Demise of Endangered Torrey Pines: A Microcosm of Global Forest Die-offs” and published in the Journal of Geography, Environment and Earth Science identified toxins, especially chemically-mobile aluminum, and increasing UV radiation as primary factors in their decline. It also identified a process by which the chemical toxins are concentrated on pine needles by deposition and evaporation. The peer-reviewed paper is here. The condensed fog analysis is here.
5. Authorities must ignore a petition signed by 2,000 people including over 100 people from Del Mar and 200 people from Carmel Valley asking that State Parks test Torrey Pine Trees for aluminum poisoning. The list of signees was given to authorities in April, 2019. Testing for aluminum is a simple and inexpensive test that was really just an attempt to get them to do any testing whatsoever. My tests revealed that the aluminum level in Torrey Pines roots and bark is about double the level that farmers consider aluminum poisoning in crops. The aluminum does not come from naturally occurring aluminum in the soil as that is bound up with other elements. (More on mobilized aluminum to be added)
Public deception regarding the Torrey Pine Die-off ranges from State Parks to our volunteer docent society to our environmental professionals to our elected officials to our academic institutions and to our news-media. While there is overwhelming evidence other factors are involved in the Torrey Pine Die-off, (including photos of pitch canker symptoms, laboratory analysis identifying the pathogen Fusarium circinatum, and a scientific peer-reviewed paper documenting chemical toxins and damage caused by increasing ultraviolet radiation) government authorities fail to acknowledge or look into anything that differs from the official story-line of drought and beetles.
It’s too bad that authorities must ignore all the evidence and promote the official story at all costs. See this short 5 minute video, by former President Eisenhower and J.M. Herndon, Ph.D., on why they won’t allow a real investigation. If they were allowed to look into it, they would probably find the primary underlying cause is environmental modification by jet-placed particulates in the troposphere. The aerosolized particulates cause droughts (this 2 minute video shows how) and deluges, heat the troposphere, contaminate rain, snow, and fog, kill bees and insects (here), kill birds (here), and bats (here), exacerbate forest fires (here), increase the intensity of red tides (here), and kill Giant Sequoia trees (here). The aerial spraying depletes stratospheric ozone, allowing damaging ultraviolet radiation B and C to reach Earth’s surface. And weaken Torrey Pine trees to the point they are attacked by insects and pathogenic fungi.
This 30 minute VIDEO HERE, and FREE BOOK HERE, document the entire effort of trying to get our trees analyzed. They cover the years from 2015 to mid-2020. (Prior to the Fusarium diagnosis.) They include in-depth explanations, details and photos of everything described above.